Monday, May 4, 2009

American League- Standings & Predictions: May 2009


With a month of the season in the books, let’s take a look at the standings and point out some of the surprises and predictions in the American League.

AL East- The power division in the AL.


Toronto is at the top for now and is looking like the best team in baseball right now, but eventually Marco Scutaro and Scott Richmond will come back to earth and so will the Jays. Once Big Papi gets over the swine flu (the only reason I can think of why he stinks right now), look for Boston to take over the top spot. And the wildcard team from this division will be at risk as the Yankees keep waffling around third place. I like the Rays as a team however don’t see them making a charge.


AL Central- The worst division, yet hardest to predict.

At the beginning of the season I had this division in exactly the reverse order. I thought the Indians would win and the Royals would finish in the basement. I can admit when I am wrong. It just goes to show you what good pitching can do for a team. Now, I don’t think the Royals will finish in first and I don’t think the Indians can make the climb to the top. So that means this year’s division winner will be the Twins, White Sox, or Tigers. My choice… the Tigers.


AL West- The Angels division and everyone else.

Everyone had the Angels winning this division and I think that will still happen. Like I said before, it is all about the pitching. Seattle has it right now and that is why they are in the lead, but for how long will King Felix, Washburn and Bedard keep it going. My guess is they will fall out of first place before the All-Star break, yet the pitching will be good enough to take Griffey Jr. to the post season.


AL Division Winners: Boston Red Sox, Detroit Tigers, Los Angeles Angels
Wildcard: Seattle Mariners
Pennant Winner: Boston Red Sox

No comments:

Post a Comment